Randy S. Little
http://www.rslittle.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2325729/

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 8:08 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2012-10-21 11:57, asharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hmm. Based on
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/eos_qt_small_raw_images_article.shtml,
it looks like the other RAW modes are simply not using all the pixels of
the sensor. I cannot think of any reason you'd want to do this; if you
bought a camera at a specific resolution, you'd want to use all the pixels
you paid for. If you want a smaller file for a given session that isn't as
important, don't shoot RAW, and shoot in jpg mode instead.

I can imagine wanting to shoot for web use only, but still wanting the post-production flexibility of RAW (especially for adjusting color balance).  I don't have a camera with such options, so it's all theoretical to me, though.

In the real world, I find that uses for pictures change behind my back over time, so plans made that are too dependent on the use aren't safe in the long run.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info