Re: Dust on Digital Sensors

I came to my darkroom one afternoon in the 70’s and found that my assistant and her boyfriend were waiting for some film to percolate in photo-flo and distilled water while they sat on the sofa and drank very dry Martini’s (gin and a distilled water ice cube with a couple of drops or Vermouth).

On Sep 25, 2012, at 6:16 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

On 2012-09-25 12:52, Jan Faul wrote:

WE have an almost identical setup, but use a friendly gas substitute for
air. The dirt we spend time spotting out doesn’t come from the scanner,
it comes from the lab processing the film. AS labs have gotten more
miserly in their operational costs, they have cut back on buying new
filters for both water and air.

That's my experience as well, little of the stuff I spot could have been blown off.  (I do blow off what I can, though not with as sophisticated equipment.)

Much of what I'm spotting off is *my own* poor lab technique when I get into the late 60 and the 1970s.  None of the darkrooms I used in highschool or college had water filters, and it took me several years to discover that a final rinse in distilled water (and diluting the Photo-Flo with distilled water) helped a lot.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info