Re: PF members gallery on 08-18-12

I'm commenting with recent conversations in mind.

On 8/18/12 2:56 PM, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated August 18, 2012. Authors with work now on display at:http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html  include:

Dan Mitchell - To the Lighthouse
Well, at least it's not an iPhone! Great shot, comp/color/exposure are all working well together. I would have waited for the pedestrian to move out of the frame, myself. The noise in the sky gives it a painterly feel, not really an effect I like in a digital image, but it suits it...albeit a telling limitation of a camera phone, and a variety of other cameras at higher ISOs.

Jim Snarski - Weaver
Great capture of the spider, although I do wish it was performing some more recognizable action. The inconsistent web background, in my opinion, doesn't compliment the sharpness of the spider. I can't imagine this being easy to do, given the narrow dof of the capture.

Jan Faul - Lloyds of London, 2008
The insurance/financial machine? Mr. Greenjeans and son? Given the context of recent discussions, I find it suspect. Or, perhaps, it means something to someone who enjoys "art".

Elson T. Elizaga - Leaves on a Wall
Great texture and color. While it would make a great Wordpress banner, I'd like to see a larger image to give that orange bottom-right corner a little more purpose.

Bob McCulloch - Abandoned
The lawn is too groomed for me to buy the subject as abandoned. Although, neglect is certainly applicable here. Too much green and the overall image appears too faded for my taste. While the trees conveniently block the son, they do let enough light through to distract.

Pini Vollach - A dessert's pool
While I do find myself looking at this image, I'm not looking at it as a whole. Rather, each of the individual components and I consistently return to the driest portion of the image, the brush in the upper left corner. For an abstract like this to work for me, I would want the colors to work better together...it feels awkward, if that makes any sense at all.

Howard Leigh - Armed Police snapped!
Good thing it was an iPhone and not a real camera! ;) Otherwise, I doubt the police officers would have been so friendly and you'd have a Chris Strevens tale to tell.