Re: PF members gallery on 08-18-12

Dan Mitchell, To the Lighthouse.  This is gripping, dramatic.  Talk
about being pulled into a scene!   There's a certain shock element to
it, a sort of surprise at the competition for attention between the
phallic red and white column and the blue shirted guy.   You go back
and forth between them.  Then the tree on the right make you look
immediately to the left, and you're relieved that there's NOT a
matching tree on the other side, because that would somehow be a
violation of good composition.  Overall a great success.

Trevor Cunningham, banzai plant.  This is a splendid example of what
Swiss psychologist Hermann Rorschach had in mind when he conceived of
his ink blot test.   The whole idea is to trick reluctant psychiatraic
patients into revealing themselves as the sordid, depraved wretches
they really are.  Now, while some Forum members may see in this image
blatant pornographic sex,  I see instead the beauty and wonder of
nature.  The metaphor of food as spiritual sustenance.  Of the scents
of earth, and sunlit leaves.

Jim Snarski, Weaver.  Seems to me this would be vastly improved if the
web were more clearly defined.  Or maybe not.

Jan Faul, Lloyds of London, 2008.  This, I assume, was used to
illustrate a newspaper or magazine article about that big British
insurance company, and it would make sense in that context.  On its
own, though, it seems an odd and awkward composition.  The guys in the
lift are cut off, and theres a bit of dull, uninteresting space on
both sides that well could be cropped off.   Seems this would work
better as a vertical.   Now, the image might serve as an example of
the benefits of using a solidly fixed tripod.  You can capture a sense
of movement with the blur of the lift, and at the same time keep
everything else tack sharp.  Another thing is that overall this looks
like a sepia-toned b&w, but then there's the blue of the two guys.
Puzzling!

Elson T. Elizaga, Leaves on a Wall.  I like the texure and the detail,
but for my taste it's too narrow, too wide.  But then I have to admit
it grows on me.   Nice shot.

Bob McCulloch, Abandoned.  Is this perchance a shot taken with a cell
phone camera?   If so be prepared for a barrage of complaints!   Now I
think some of the shots I can get with my Blackberry have a most
interesting quality that suggests Polaroids or pin-hole camera images,
which is a sort of combination of the old and the new.  But it works
only for some subjects.

Pini Vollach, A dessert's pool.   An interesting abstract, although
were it mine I'd punch up the saturation a bit and burn in the top
somewhat.   I don't like seeing copyright notices or the
photographer's name stuck on an image.  It's kind of like, "Don't you
DARE try to steal this because it's MINE!"   Which these days is a
futile gesture because image thieves do what they please with little
negative consequences.

Howard Leigh, Armed Police snapped!    Ah, the Fascists with Automatic
Weapons are warm, tolerant, and kind human beings after all.   Good to
see.