Re: Criminalizing Photography

AS long as the PAtriot Act is in force, photographers are going to be in the crosshairs.

Jan Faul

On Aug 16, 2012, at 9:58 AM, Paladin wrote:

First, know your rights. Search the I'net for "photographers' rights." A couple of items will pop up quickly:
http://store.petapixel.com/products/Photographers-Rights-Gray-Card-Set.html
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf
There are many more, of course, but both of these are items that can be carried with you at all times.

If anyone has any concrete ideas on what we can do as individual photographers to continue to protect our rights, please post them. But unless I am personally confronted, I don't know what I can do as an individual photographer to ensure our collective rights are not abrogated. I look forward eagerly for further suggestions.

One thing my time dealing with management and bureaucrats taught me is deniability is their main line of defence.

Defeating this is relatively simple, and a method I employ often whenever I find a department stepping over the line as it were - I let them know in writing, the law, the consequences of breaching that law, and 'theoretical' circumstances where I could anticipate their department breaching the law. I ask for confrmation that they undertake to evaluate these risks and mitigate potential breaches.

Once they receive the registered mail they are doomed if they do not follow through with it. Putting it around to other photographers your letters, and letting the authorities know after they reply that you've appreciated their response and have forwarded it on to other concerned photographers enures they don't think you're a lone loon in the dark.

So. If I find myself likely to be photographing at an unfamiliar sporting event, I'd make sure I wrote in advance to the club and the local council (county in the US?) outlining my concernes and request a response outlining their strategy to deal with breaches, and armed with both the correspondence and a copy of the law I'd head off to the event. If I was confronted I'd then make my rights clear as daylight and if anyone even hinted at encroaching on these rights I'd also make it clear as day they were aware of the laws in advance as evident by the correspondence and they would be opening the door for a sh*tstorm of a lawsuit. If they have concerns they could phone the Shire CEO or whoever signed the letter and confirm it with them.

For aussies photographing at sporting events, this is a link I posted here some time back pertaining to children:
http://www.ausport.gov.au/supporting/clubs/resource_library/starting_a_club/child_protection/guidelines_use_children_images/images_of_children

you'd be surprised how bureaucrats fear 'prior knowledge'. .. and more surprised how little they know (or want to know) about their own responsibilities in their positions.

by 2c