Re: IR conversion - Was: wannabe

If you are rich, you should look at the Leica M8.  There is no IR blocking filter on the sensor and it works great for IR photos.

Tina

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Alberto Tirado <fotodiseno2003@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: James Schenken <jds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> ... The proportion of IR
> light to visible light is quite variable and is strongly affected by time of
> day.

Interesting response, thank you!

Yes, definitely some heavy experimentation is in order. I just read that early in the morning there is more natural IR, so I am very affraid I will have to be on the field so early. ;)

> Sent from David's iPad

Say thanks to David!

> From: Andrew Davidhazy <andpph@xxxxxxx>

> When they do the conversion they replace the camera's infrared blocking
> filter with and infrared transmissive filter (but light blocking) and since the
> CMOS or CCD sensors are infrared sensitive you can expect significant increases
> in "speed".

Basically, I am competing against myself - the filter gives me the IR, while the unmodified sensor in the camera tries to block it - I hadn't thought of this and it totally explains the steep compensation factor. It definitely turns the scale for me in favor of permanently modifying the digital body instead of buying a filter!

> James explained this also in his own words. So now you have two of us saying the
> same thing in different words!!

I now have two arguments of reason - I am rich!

Alberto Tirado

--
Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com