Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 5916

In New York City not long ago I saw a group of teenagers who were
posing in front of the famous LOVE sculpture on Sixth Avenue.  Another
teenager was taking their picture and there were a dozen cameras and
cellphones at his feet.  I raised my own camera to capture the group
and the photographer.

A very angry woman stopped me.  She was very nearly trembling.  "Those
are CHILDREN!" she said with an unmistakable British accent.  "You
have no right to take their picture."

Wholly taken aback, I said, "We are in a public place.  There are
security cameras and corporate security guards all over the place.
What possible harm could I do to those kids?"

"I'm responsible for those children!" she said.

"So?  Are you suggesting I'm a pervert or a child molester?"

"You shouldn't be taking their picture.  It's against the law."

I shook my head.  "Maybe that's the case in London, but not here."