Subject: Re: Kodak Bankruptcy???
From: David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, January 06, 2012 10:10 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 2012-01-06 21:41, James Schenken wrote:
> It seems that Kodak is trying to sell off all of their digital intellectual property to try to survive.
> That sounds like eating the future to be fed today.

It's classic behavior. It makes financial sense, but it's insane from
an engineering point of view. To have a viable future, I think Kodak
needs a solution that's sound *both* financially *and* from an
engineering point of view.

> If Kodak goes down, does that push film towards the final edge?

Not especially.

Let me take a somewhat contrarian view here for a minute. Arguably, the
film and processing market is currently severely over-served, or at
least we can anticipate that it will be soon. Kodak, being one of the
biggest and oldest players, has more wiggle-room than most. One of the
worst things that could happen is that somebody like Kodak used that
wiggle room to hang on while everybody else died -- and then found they
couldn't operate at the size they were comfortable at either. THEN the
whole market goes bust.

In other words, perhaps clearing out one of the dinosaurs is one of the
best things that could happen to the remaining film market.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info