Re: Kodak Bankruptcy???

On 2012-01-06 21:41, James Schenken wrote:
It seems that Kodak is trying to sell off all of their digital intellectual property to try to survive.
That sounds like eating the future to be fed today.

It's classic behavior. It makes financial sense, but it's insane from an engineering point of view. To have a viable future, I think Kodak needs a solution that's sound *both* financially *and* from an engineering point of view.

If Kodak goes down, does that push film towards the final edge?

Not especially.

Let me take a somewhat contrarian view here for a minute. Arguably, the film and processing market is currently severely over-served, or at least we can anticipate that it will be soon. Kodak, being one of the biggest and oldest players, has more wiggle-room than most. One of the worst things that could happen is that somebody like Kodak used that wiggle room to hang on while everybody else died -- and then found they couldn't operate at the size they were comfortable at either. THEN the whole market goes bust.

In other words, perhaps clearing out one of the dinosaurs is one of the best things that could happen to the remaining film market.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info