Re: Back up plan Light room and photos

At 6:50 PM -0500 12/27/11, b b wrote:
 Thank you Lea.
 I am looking at SuperDuper, and ChronoSync.

Carbon copy Cloner is another option. Most of the Mac folks I know only use either CCC or SD.

However, if you're running Time Machine to an external drive my understanding is that it won't do any good to bother with putting your first TM drive away and starting with another, since TM won't be able to locate data from the first one and will create a bootable backup on the new drive anyway. Basically it seems to me that your TM drive needs to be at least 3x the size of your internal drive. By the time it's full it's time to get the next generation of Mac.

 Frankly I am scared to death to move these photos off the computer drive....

I'm not sure why.  Can you expand on that?

Hard drives are only moderately reliable, but there are brands, like Glyph, which come with extremely high recommendations and 3 year free-recovery warranty. I'd say a 3 year recovery warranty is one of the best deals around.

Personally, I keep all my master files on an external drive connected with Firewire 800, still faster than anything but eSATA. So if you're fussing about speed of access, try to get a drive with eSATA connectivity. If you're worried about access to your master files when you're on the road with your computer, get a much larger internal drive, or get an eSATA drive and carry it with you. If you're ill at ease with having your files inaccessible because they're on an external drive and you left it home, you can also create a mirror of them in, for instance, a small jpg format, allowing you to carry screen jpgs of every portfolio image with you while leaving the monster master files at home. It's really simple to create jpgs of any size you prefer from your master files through the Tools>Photoshop>Image Processor item in Bridge or by creating an action in PS to apply to any image.

In any case I would hardly trust my master files to only one backup method. As I've said here before I have all my files backed up to DVD both here and remotely, as well as an external drive with master files at a remote location, as well as a bootable backup on another external drive also in that remote location.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx