Converting color negs to digital positives

Hi,

Probably been discussed several times but does anyone have a brief (my attention span is not very long) tutorial or set of instructions on how color negatives copied with a digital camera can be effectively converted to digital rgb image files? - the crux of the matter (or at least one of them) is the orange color correction mask.

One suggestion that I found was to use one of the eyedroppers (white point selectinbg the thinnest part of negative) in curves in PS before inverting or inverting first and then using black point on a darkest part of image ... but initial color balance in both cases appears to be quite way off. I think I stated procedure that I followed ... but maybe not (my attention span is not very long!)

Since this would need to be done as an action to deal with a gizzillion photographs I'd need to generate something that then could be applied globally to all image files in a folder.

Suggestions?

Andy from 48 58' 15'' N, 77 37' 58'' W