Re: external hard drives

----- Original Message ----- From: "Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:57 AM
Subject: Re: external hard drives

At 9:05 AM +0800 11/1/11, Karl Shah-Jenner wrote:
Microsoft OS PC's have such an option with programs called Print Directrory or somesuch, or the feature can be added for free by using Miscosoft Fix It free here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321379 - though this sends the file to a printer it can be reconfigured to produce a text file.

Actually, CDFinder creates a visual database when cataloging a device, such that one can view a decent sized thumb of every file cataloged. One can also search on keywords embedded in the files as well as file and folder names, dates, etc..

Toast will create a printable directory for long-term storage, but I've never tried it to see whether it is also visual like CDFinder.

As list of filenames is of very limited use to visual creators at this point I think.

I'm with you now. I use Irfanview's thumb view function for eyeballing folder details and it's contact sheet maker, as well as it's webpage/website thumbnailer for long term storage of folder details, keeping a printed and a file of the contact sheets and a searchable, locally stored website as well for quick viewing. Both are rudimenary and can be added to media seperately.. but then both take up space that could be used for images or other data

..easier still and more space efficient, as the whole program takes up less than 2Mb and is 'portable' , I often add the Irfanview program to the media so thumbnail viewing, audio and slideshows can be run using the existing images, music or videos on the media without the need to duplicate the image data as a separate slideshow/whatever. A simple autorun will even prompt a slideshow or thumbnail view on loading the media