Re: external hard drives

Emily writes:

There is an excellent drive cataloging application called CDFinder which creates a database of every item on whatever sort of drive you ask it to catalog. It even has a new little subroutine which will catalog the item and eject it when the task is complete.

But you can catalog any kind of drive with it.

It is, however, Mac only.

http://www.cdfinder.de/

good point :)

Microsoft OS PC's have such an option with programs called Print Directrory or somesuch, or the feature can be added for free by using Miscosoft Fix It free here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321379 - though this sends the file to a printer it can be reconfigured to produce a text file.

I have used DirPrint or Karen's Directory Printer for a long time and consider them one of those nice to have 'essential programs'. They simply produce a log of all the files or folders or both within a directory, with options and filters to select the depth and breadth of the directory structure listed, size, date of creation, date of modifiation etc. The MS product is much more basic.

Better are these, and I like the feature that allows diectoryy listing recording of devices and PCs on the network:
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
http://www.wimsprograms.com/dirprt40.html
a more basic verion can be found here:
http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/jdirprint.htm