Re: Everybody Is A Photographer

So, the gist I'm getting is this: If I want to make sure my raw images, .jpg's, .tiff's, .etc's are still viable in the future, I should me a Mac guy because they keep their kernels open about 5 years longer than Microsoft. They're still printing Ansel Adams' plates, Brett Weston burned his.

Perhaps, when I'm recognized as a real photographer, and I have images that other people continue to want printed, my family will have an archivist ensuring that my magnets can still plug in somewhere. Or, that the paper with my existing metal prints doesn't turn to dust. Herschel hit the nail on the head laughing at entitled photogs. If we expect the personal computing market to bend to our egos, it will be controlled by Kodak...on my way to buy stock right now.

On 9/27/11 7:51 AM, Andy wrote:
What about the users Windows NT for Dec Alpha and MIPS processors or windows 2000 or Vista the biggest Microsoft blunder. Some people have selective memory and have LEGACY biases about Apple from an era when the operating CEO (Sulley) fully and openly admits that the only decision worse than joining apple was firing Steve Jobs.

The last LEGACY apple fallacy is that they are over priced. Just last month HP toshiba and acer publicly cried to intel to give special pricing to them so that they can compete with Apples MacBookAir's $999 price. They freely admit they can't offer a profitable netbook device! How the tables have turned.

Andy
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 27, 2011, at 12:01 AM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well looks like they never learn anything. Anyone else remember Windows ME??? I am still scarred from that experience

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: Everybody Is A Photographer
    From: Andy <adoller@xxxxxxx <mailto:adoller@xxxxxxx>>
    Date: Mon, September 26, 2011 10:32 pm
    To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
    <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
    Cc: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
    <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    OS X is now ten years old so you really do need to move on with
    your abandonment diatribe. It doesn't hold up. As for values of
    hardware, Check your facts again. A two year old Mac has less
    depreciation that a 2 year old pc. Just look at eBay. The used
    Mac market thrives. You couldn't sell a two year old PC if you
    tried.

    If you think MS has your back, I guess you haven't moved to
    windows 7 yet then because they have the same obsolescence built
    in to because the finally got rid of 8 and 16 bit compatibility.
    Good luck running it on a two year old machine. Aero requires the
    performance just to open a window and 2 GB of memory to just run
    the OS. Talk about an operating system that brings nothing new to
    the table but cripples a screaming fast machine. No thanks. I
    have to use it at work but no where else.

    Andy

    Sent from my iPhone

    <mailto:wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    >>> Funny you should mention Apple; since they've abused their
    customers by
    >>> breaking backwards compatibility worse than any other company
    I've ever
    >>> heard of. Even worse than Canon!
    >>>
    >>> First there were 68000-based Macs, then PowerPC-based Macs,
    then OS-X,
    >>> then Intel-based Macs (or maybe I've got the order wrong
    there). Each
    >>> switch required a complete software re-load and re-buy. I'm
    amazed there
    >>> are any Mac users left at all; but I know people who've been
    through every
    >>> step of that nightmare, and still praise Apple. There's some
    kind of
    >>> reality-distortion field involved, I think.
    >

    >> Funny you should rail on apple in particular. Apple actually
    allowed for each transitional break from hardware plat forms to
    be one version backwards compatible. Exactly opposite of what you
    claim. The transition from PowerPC to intel in osx has been
    heralded as the most successful and invisible from a user
    standpoint. All of the burden was on the software developers.
    Apple even gave developers a program environment to compile code
    for all existing platforms. Look up Coco, universal application,
    Rosetta before you trash apple about not being backwards
    comparable. Yell at adobe for being slow to convert their work.
    Yell at Microsoft for refusing to admit it was time to move on.
    Apple supported developers all along the way a gave tools to keep
    moving. Adobe and MS and quicken ect chose to neglect their mac
    customers and take their money without making the software have
    feature parity to the Ms equivalents.

    > I've seen people complaining about re-buying all their software,
    and I've watched the used price of hardware disappear, and I've
    seen people forced into upgrades, over and over again. One
    version isn't very much.