Re: Street Photography

----- Original Message -----
From: Lew
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 6:18 AM
Subject: Re: Street Photography

Right! And what about the poor photographer whose pictures you ruin by witholding permission? Surely no one should have the right to appear in public and treat their appearance as a personal and private affair while co opting public space for their personal use.

Lew

I thought hard before replying to this with my question, not an answer.. it's not entirely palatable but it is something that's bothered me lately.

Here's the guts of a report from The Land Of Oz

"Child sex charges over Port Beach incident
STAFF REPORTER, The West Australian March 18, 2011, 3:51 pm
A convicted child sex offender has been charged by police after he was allegedly seen using a telescopic device to look at young children playing naked at Port Beach."

Viscerally we will all react 'damn right, yeah!' .   But stop and think - irrespective of the abhorrence we all feel about adults interfering with children, this is a blatant attempt by the pursed-lip brigade to use our gut feelings to 'creep' the laws a little further and bring about the criminalizing of a thought process.

Forget  the guy is a convicted child sx offender for a moment.. the police 'chased him off' the beach, then 'hunted him down' and arrested him.  For looking..  As much as I too had the original reaction "Damn right!, go get him and lob him into a cell.. pervert!"  I recognized after a bit that I was being manipulated.  And for a moment I was complicit in a act of deprivation of liberty.

Next step will be the public remember something about child sex offenses and telescopes, so when they see the photographer lining up down the beach with a tele lens to photograph a seagull on the rocks one can probably expect the plods to turn up en mass and hurl them face down in the dirt for a good kicking.  And if they opt for the defense that they weren't looking at the kiddies on the beach?  ermm yeah right.. The plods have already got themselves a precedent - a guy convicted of looking at kids, how on earth could they prove they  *weren't*  looking at kids??

So I guess the next step is they have their house torn apart and their computers and cameras seized..  Oh and forget ever having them returned - they're deemed 'evidence' and retained forever.  Chances are, has been the case already, it would be ruled (without conviction) they would not be permitted to own a camera again.  Ever.

And the public's attitude that perverts carry cameras would be reinforced.

The guy was LOOKING for effinecks sakes.. we have to draw a line don't we?  Or are we prepared to accept the ideology of thought crimes now?  In a calm moment of rational thought, chasing the guy off the beach should have been sufficient.

Odds are anyone of that persuasion could just as easy stroll the beach getting an eyeful (why are the parents permitting nekkid romping ?  are they too not complicit?)

I'd rather rugrats were locked away at home and NOT out spoiling my landscapes, but if they are permitted off the leash in public then dammit as far as I'm concerned any pretext of privacy is gone.

If you'd accept anything different, you probably can't see the next inevitable step would be the banning of the use of cameras in public.   In some places this is already the case.  It helps the authorities protect themselves from unwanted attention should they slip up and kick the wrong person into a coma ..

If I should happen to find myself being photographed in public and I'd rather not have my image preserved for all time, I'd ask the photographer if they'd mind terribly deleting the offending image and refrain from capturing more of my mug.  If the photographer declined to do so, I'd move elsewhere

I think that's reasonable ..

karl