replies to gallery 11 02 05 comments

Thank you all for your comments. . . since there were questions, here are some things about the photo
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery/gelman.html .

The day was actually overcast-bright; the ice-covered twigs were about twenty feet from my window. The background was blue/gray sky (mostly gray) except for tree branches a least eighty yards away. The light from the open sky was just right to be concentrated and refracted towards me through the clear ice. I opened the shutter to max, for a shallow depth of field, so the branches in the background are completely out of focus. And yes, the leaves keep the eye from wandering too far.