Re: museum collections? (now FOB)

I had a roommate in the late 90's who was an artist. We had a lot of really solid discussions on the subject, and managed to find a common ground on the idea that there is a considerable difference between the product (for lack of a better word) and the market, the latter being more vague and subjective than the art itself. In this light, I have great respect for artists who breathe that freedom, and congratulate any artist that can coincide with the marketplace. A recent documentary call Exit Through the Gift Shop is a remarkable commentary on this subject.

As for my former roommate, he happened to build furniture. In fact, his craftsmanship at cabinetry was superior to anything I've ever seen before and since. However, he corrected me when I called him a carpenter one day. He said, "I'm an artist, my medium happens to be wood right now."