Subject: Re: museum collections? (now FOB)
From: Lea Murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, January 27, 2011 8:58 am
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have really enjoyed this exchange of opinions and ideas.

I am inspired to go back to the museum in some spare time this afternoon and speak with a docent who might be able to explain to me why/how the photographs I was so intrigued by ended up on the walls. I will report back with what I learn.

I am completely self-taught in photography and have no education in 'art' which is to say I haven't studied it (sculpture, painting, textile, etc) like I've studied photography. I don't presume to know what makes great art but I do believe I have a pretty good sense of what makes a good photograph. What's hanging in the Kemper isn't even that. It's not a good photograph. I would be happy to accept a good photograph of a subject that challenges me but a bad photograph (lighting, angle) of mundane subject matter on a museum wall is worth questioning.

Not ten feet from the wedding photograph are three Steiglitz photographs and two Robert Mapplethorpes. In the same exhibit.

Andrew posted two links to podcasts by Brooks Jensen and they are very appropriate to this conversation I believe. Sometimes what we see hanging is nothing but poo and we've been blindsided to believing it must be good because it's hanging in a museum. I'm seeking to find out why the Kemper believed these two particular images (one of which I can't yet find a link to) good enough to purchase because I simply don't see it.

I'm open to learning, though. Update to follow...

Lea