Re: Sample exam for your amusement

----- Original Message ----- From: "ADavidhazy" <andpph@xxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2011 8:08 AM
Subject: Re: Sample exam for your amusement

I will try to comment on some other points later but I will pick one that has been of long time interest to me. Increasing "sharpness" by reducing focal length or increasing subject distance. Detail is not increased as magnification is decreased in my opinion. So:

18. If a subject is moving at 100 feet per second appears blurred in an image made of it at 1/1,000 second (which is the top speed of the camera) changing to a shorter focal length lens will make the image detail sharper.

TRUE    or     FALSE  Circle choice and explain:

My "stance" on this is that this is FALSE because the distance that the subject can move during a given time (the exposure time) is fixed and thus the ratio of "blur" to subject size remains constant. Blur (in relation to subject size) is magnification independent. Thoughts on this?

I spotted the terem 'appeared' and clung to that, but you're right - the ratio of object to blur will remain unchanged in absolute terms, how it will appear to the viewer though is a bit more subjective.

kind of like lenses only having one plane of focus, but stopping down appears to increase the depth of focus - that sort of thing