Re: Sample exam for your amusement

2. 33 1/3 RPM is that not exactly 200 degrees/sec. ?  ;)

by jove, I think you're right! that'll learn me to worth to only a handful of decimal points! ;)

would you consider #18 again? Or help me clarify the question?

19. Capacitance and Voltage      Chris: watt seconds agreed!

The power in joules or watt/seconds of an electronic flash depends primarily on two electrical factors. What are they?

I had my electronics hat on and it took over my brain and made me think:
power in watts is the relationship between current and voltage, a capacitor sole purpose and function is to store and release current .. at a certain voltage sure, but it's current release (taking into effect the resistance, ripple current or inductance of the capacitor) that determines the power flow rate - which in turn determines the duration of the flash and power dissipation across a given time interval - couple this with the resistance of the flash tube and any inductors in the circuit used to smooth (and increase or reduce the duration of) the discharge, and really it's the current and the impedence (resistance) that determines the output power and duration.. often expressed as joules or watt seconds. I wouldn't have said voltage, as too low and there's no discharge, too high and the amount and rate of discharge won't change much, the light wavelength will tho .. which is why flashes tend not to have any fluctuations or variations in voltage permitted.

so current (delivered via a capacitor) and resistance (increasing / decreasing flash duration)

well, that was my take ;) Also, thinking of continuous xenon discharge lamps, Voltage aside for the reasons mentioned (it kinda has to be taken as a constant, i.e. not a variable for the flash to perform as desired) it's the current that determines the wattage - a low continous current gives a low output, a high current, a high output.. and subsequently the relative light output

ps, you can drive a flash with a teeeny current and a massive voltage, actually taking the tube beyond it's internal resistance breakdown point and get a very pure, very high output UV light source. very dangerous. nasty stuff.

on #35 I was going for the simple answer - computer nerds!!  :)

digital!  eeez verrry specific!  can't go mixing 1's and 0's!   ;)

on #37 hs digital cameras fill up a buffer with images and then they start replacing from oldest until buffer filled again so if you stop recording when an event happens it runs for maybe 1/2 the buffer longer and then stops. On playback you can play back frames that were recorded before the stop signal arrived and thus look into the past! ;) ... so to speak!

wow, something I never knew..  interesting!

30. 3.33

31. 1/10X  ;)

now I'm totally in the dark

major errors on my part? let me know 'cause I still have time to fix them before giving to students tomorrow afternoon!

nah, looks lovely to me - let me know what sort of arguments you get about #35 though ;)