flatbed scanner question

Well just got a Canon 9900f flatbed.  Price was very reasonable.  I
don't scan that much anymore.  Had the Canon version of digital ice, and
the specs were as good as my old Dimage Film scanner.

After some time playing around in the software, it took a while to find
things but I think I have found most of the important buttons.  It took
me 3 days to find out most of the custom adjustments for an image in the
Canon software are found when you open the driver.  That's very
different from Epson, but once you know where it is I guess it doesn't
matter.

My problem is that I going back and doing some scans of old chromes.
Some of these had very specific point of focus that are sharp with a
soft bokeh in the background.  Trouble is that the auto focus of the
flatbed seems to be getting fooled and is trying to focus on that which
isn't sharp.  The end result is a soft and unusable scan.

Any ideas or is the luck of the draw with a flatbed?  Any software that
would improve it.  I have Vuescan, but I haven't been a big fan.  Thanks
in advance

Mark