Re: Sort of on topic

On Wed, December 15, 2010 08:31, Don Roberts wrote:
> I hate to make this a computer forum but there hasn't been much photo
> talk lately so....   Emily's last post made me wonder:  How many of you
> PHOTOGRAPHERS - on topic now -  use a laptop as your main working
> resource?  Will they suffice for doing PS work with a number of large
> files and a need to see detail in images?  How do you configure?  Can
> one use the laptop screen for PS tools and an external monitor for the
> image without a lot of problems?  Any comments on this might help me
> decide where my equipment money goes next.

Most laptop screens don't even show 24-bit color, and are drastically
unsuitable for serious photo editing.  (Not all, and if you need one, you
can get one; but there are a dozen or something models, out of all the
hundreds of laptop models made.)

I have a laptop, with an ordinary inadequate screen, that I use when I'm
away from home.  I can dump my memory cards, keep a copy on the HD and
burn a DVD, or copy to an external HD, or upload to a server if I've got
good connectivity and the volume is relatively small.  I do some minimal
proofing, and I can judge sharpness at least.  Sometimes I make photo
galleries for the web from the proofs.  And I don't need to spend the
money for a fully photo-quality screen.

At home, it's all desktop.  I'm currently running 8GB of RAM, and (having
replaced a burned-out motherboard) that's only filling half my slots, so I
can upgrade to 16GB when the time comes.  I've got a Dell 24" monitor, and
a Spyder 2 Express for profiling.  And a mouse I like, and a Wacom tablet
that I'm still trying to learn to use effectively.

I've used a second screen on a laptop (Windows), and that works fine.  My
old laptops haven't gotten up to the point where they have modern digital
output ports for video (DVI or I suppose HDMI), which limits the quality
you can drive the external monitor at.  You're limited by the graphics
chipset in the laptop, generally.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info