Re: Sort of on topic

At 8:31 AM -0600 12/15/10, Don Roberts wrote:
How many of you PHOTOGRAPHERS - on topic now - use a laptop as your main working resource? Will they suffice for doing PS work with a number of large files and a need to see detail in images? How do you configure? Can one use the laptop screen for PS tools and an external monitor for the image without a lot of problems?

My setup as described a moment ago is my only computer setup. I like to use a portable of some sort as my primary computer because when I need to take it somewhere I have a jpeg version of my entire portfolio with me at all times. It's powerful enough for the type of subjects I shoot - no weddings and portraits which create much bulkier downloads than landscape stuff, and it's quite adequate for a week's worth of sailing.

Since I have an external monitor, keyboard and imput devices at home, people often come into my studio and look for a tower or desktop computer...

I do carry a Wacom tablet when I travel. I have not used a mouse since I got my first computer in 1994. I don't much care for trackpads.

Whether you can use your portable to split PS palettes or not depends on how you have your displays arranged. My studio is set up so that my MacBook has to be on the left, so it's very difficult for me to leave palettes there since that's not the normal side for them. The cursor would go there, I'm just not accustomed to looking for them there. The Pref pane for Displays permits one to define the locations of the multiple monitors and to define the one with the menu bar and dock. And, of course, in PS and Bridge one can define the arrangment of items in the workspace so it is remembered for future restarts.

Besides, I use PS as little as possible for image adjustment. I do nearly everything in the RAW converter.

Getting the portable on the right side would be good for getting my studio a good cleaning, but not for much else!
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx