gallery review

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated AUG 28, 2010. Authors
with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

             Elson T. Elizaga - Molt

A well executed example of macro work. The detail you've captured is impressive. Looking beyond the fact that it's an insect's skin, it also appears to be a vaudeville performer dancing across stage...all he needs is a top hat and a cane. Well done.

             Yoram Gelman - Shadow Abstract II

Interesting shapes in an image that doesn't do much for me. The fact that it's floating on white space with no grounding at all bothers me; I wish it were anchored somehow, somewhere. I appears choppy. It's probably supposed to. Your tones are nice.

             Dan Mitchell - Monkey orchid

A fine example of macro work. Love how you've thrown your background out of focus which, of course, has made the flower stand out so beautifully. Your background green works so well against the fuschia tones of the flower and makes it pop. Nicely done.

             Trevor Cunningham - cactus miniature

Your cactus appears to glow. The creamy tones of the plant are just wonderful and the fact that you've held detail all the way out to the very pointy edges of the spikes is really wonderful. I can imagine this series printed up big, framed in very simple black frames in a white-walled room. That would be so impressive.
             Lea Murphy - Joshua, four and a half years old, face studies

I am crazy in love with my nephew Josh. He's dear and sweet and gentle and kind. He wonders at the world all the while enjoying being a part of it. Though this series captures his face, the image in the top right corner captures him...curious, a bit unsure, content.

             Andrew Sharpe - Papua New Guinea totem

I want something more here. The image feels unfinished to me. I'm not sure exactly why. It appears a bit gray on my monitor though you've done a great job holding the detail in the highlights of the frontmost mask. This is an image I'd be inclined to do some serious dodging an burning on in order to bring out some of the really wonderful tones in the wood. Maybe tone down the highlights on the low to middle right edge which would force that center mask even more forward. Burning down the top left corner would also focus attention on it.

             Christopher Strevens - Lonely

I absolutely love this image. Perhaps because of where I am in my life right now and the way the world feels so big some days while I frequently feel so alone. Your verticals are great. The red scarf / bag / whatever is a great contrast to the dull tones of the rest of the image. To me it says 'a bit of life has been dropped here' and because it's so bright you simply can't miss it and I can't help but wonder how it ended up there. So great.

             John Palcewski - Look, But Don't Touch

We've seen this image before I believe. It makes me laugh. It reminds me of the old Time-Life images that capture humor in the day-to-day.

             Mark Harris - Felicia at the Desk

This image doesn't do as much for me as last week's did. She seems a bit over-posed and I can't get a read on what her _expression_ is supposed to be saying considering it appears she's sitting at a desk. That being said, your tones are nice on her skin. You've held the white of her shadowed eye and kept it from going to black which keeps things interesting. Whatever the busyness is at the bottom of the image is distracting. Also, the disc thing coming into the frame by her upmost hand needs some context. Ah, I believe it's a lampshade. Maybe you can see that better in the print?

             Michael Hughes - The first taste

She looks apprehensive to eat whatever is in the tube. It looks to be some sort of popsicle treat which I'd like a taste of myself! A nice candid capture.

Lea

your kids . my camera . we'll clickwww.leamurphy.com