RE: PF member;s exhibit on AUG 21, 2010

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated AUG 21, 2010.
Authors
with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html
include:

                Trevor Cunningham -seed bloom
                Andrew Sharpe -Pump house, Aspen, Colorado
                Michael Hughes -Dance Class
                David Small -I have a dream
                Mark Harris - Felicia as a Statue
                Jerry McCown -Olympic National Park
                Dan Mitchell - Water of Leith
                John Palcewski -Vittoria
                Emily Ferguson - Property Line
[Chris] I looked at all the images on the gallery. I could not think of much
to say really. The only one I liked was "Pump House, Aspen, Colorado" by
Andrew Sharpe. This is the type of photo I take and it is well proportioned
and the vignette is well done.
[Chris] The other one that caught my eye was "Water of Leith" by Dan
Mitchell. This looked like Bath, England when I first saw it. I take
pictures like that too. Perhaps because it is the British tradition to do so
as I did my photographic education in the UK.
I have seen some images by Japanese photographers and these are quite
different from ours as they see images in patterns and photograph objects
where there is a pattern. They do a lot of abstract images. At least the
young people at the art school where I studied photography did.
"Felicity as a statue" by Mark Harris - well it is a woman. Obviously not a
statue but after the style of ancient Greece or Rome except the attitude of
her head. Roman and Greek Statues did not have heads in that position.
Obviously a statue from the ancient world would have the woman naked or
wearing a cloth draped over the left shoulder with her right breast exposed
so a Roman could have a feel, apparently (according to tradition). So the
cloth is nearly correct for a Romanesque statue.
I did not like "Vittoria" by John Palcewski as it is too sexist although it
looks like the exploited women is wearing a bra.
I did not like "Dance Class" By Michael Hughes but some people do enjoy that
activity. I recall I did not take part as I was too shy after my face was
butchered but took part before.
"I have a dream" by David Small is a nice image of people eating and
conversing but not dreaming. How do you photograph a dream.
The photo by Trevor Cunningham "seed bloom" is not a bloom but a seed
dispersal unit. I have forgotten the botanical name but it is not "bloom".
Trevor takes pictures like this and this may be a symptom of loneliness. I
went through a phase of taking flowers when no one would talk to me because
of my face and the false allegations against me when I said there was life
on Mars (taboo over here but I did not know).
"Property line" by Emily Ferguson is horrid. We all end up dead. But we do
not generally talk of it. Edit does a lot and so I think she is unhappy.
"Yet another beautiful sunset" is all I can say about Jerry McCown's
"Olympic National Park" image...

Chris.