RE: Lightroom question

I think of it this way.  Raw I think of as the image on a negative.  The camera has done no processing, or at least none that can't be undone.  I think it was Scott Kelby that I heard say "The only two things you can not adjust in camera raw are ISO and bad photography."  Everything else is there for you to manipulate as you see fit.   Jpg I think of more as a print.  This time though its the cameras computer that makes assumptions about what you want it to look like, decides it needs to do x y and z, and then does it without asking.  Worse than that, it also makes assumptions about what is unnecessary information in the compression of the file.  What it doesn't think it needs, it discards and is gone for good.

I still use both. Jpg for speed, though I wish Canon would let us set some image file settings for the jpgs, and the raw files for actual prints.  Just upgraded to ps 5 though and might not keep using jpg.  At times for me its handy though.
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Lightroom question
From: "Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, August 17, 2010 6:27 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

You gotta have the correct plugin for your camera with Bridge. I'm
sure it's the same with Lightroom. Go to Adobe's site and search for
it.

Of course, the purpose of RAW is to make it unnecessary for you to
involve yourself with those non-professional choices on the dial.
Basically you are supposed to shoot in the correct lighting setting
and either Manual, Aperture or Speed priority although Auto is OK
too. Then make all your adjustments for filters like IR,
hypersaturation etc. in your image processor. There's a feature in
the camera RAW converter in PS which allows one to create other
profiles, select one and apply it to the image in question. I assume
it's the same in Lightroom and probably Aperture as well. But
basically the plugin for your specific camera creates the normal
adjustment for your specific sensor.

The Saturation slider in ACR is really easy to use and will hype up
the color to your heart's content. Add a touch of Black and you're
on easy street!
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx