Re: PF Exhibit on 06-26-10

>          Mark Harris - Svetlana in her Hat

The pose is good, but the light looks a little hot, especially on her
cheek and nose. And the light is a little odd coming apparently from the
bottom right (but otherwise, would her eyes have been hidden by a
shadow?). The hat is nicely exposed, though; difficult to do with a hat
at a similar luminance level as the background, in black and white. The
plant is a bit distracting, but interestingly for me, I sort of like the
distraction.

>          Jim Davis - Waterwheel Take 2

Saturated colors and a pretty, idyllic scene. Nice composition, could be
a postcard. I think I'd like to see the water wheel *doing* something,
though. Is it derelict, or is there not enough water to engage it?

>          Pini Vollach - Sky

Hmm. I would have called this "Tree". It is interesting to me that you
called it "Sky", though. Was the sky more important to you? More
interesting is the echo of the tree form in the sky; I see a vertical
brightness echoing the vertical of the tree, and the horizontal
cloudless part of the sky echoing the horizontal of the tree. I don't
know whether this was intentional or not, but I like it.

>          Emily Ferguson - Sea Mist swirls over the mouth of the
>                           Acushnet River at sunset

A long title for a photograph. Or is that the description, and "Lotta
rain" the title? Anyway, it's a rather moody piece. I think I'd like it
more if the horizon was straightened, and if the sky was brighter,
accentuating the reflection in the water.

>          John Palcewski - Marry Me

Well, you lost me a bit. It's a rather dark still life, with a cork
being the most well-lit subject. The other items are a bit hard for me
to work out, I think there's a garlic bulb, and the bone of something
hopefully not human, perhaps an onion, and what looks to me like an
insulator from an electrical pole on the left. And of course, the title.
It sounds like an inside joke, but I'm not in on the joke.

>          Adi Spivak - Zoo Animal

Nicely exposed. It's a pity the depth of field isn't a bit deeper, but
the eyes are sharp enough. Perhaps you focused on the nose? And I think
you could cut off a quarter of the frame on the left; there's nothing
there, and that crop would put the animal's head in a more
compositionally comfortable spot.

>          Don Draper - Looking at ya!

I prefer a bit more sharpness in a photograph, but you did get the
feeling of motion here. The bodies are in slightly better focus; perhaps
a slow shutter speed was used and the heads were in motion. The staring
eyes are creepy, though. Was this taken with you underwater with them,
or through aquarium glass?

Andrew

--
http://andrewsharpe.com