Comments Re: PF gallery on 04-24-10

I have available time.  What a concept!

On 4/24/10 1:58 AM, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated APR 14, 2010. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

            Kostas Papakotas = a friends' wedding
I like this photo. Sometimes a lot of emotion can be carried from behind. Had the point of view been the front, the emotion conveyed by the hands would be lost. Good spot and decision to shoot this!
            Emily Ferguson - The water just goes 'round and 'round
Emily has taken a fairly simple subject and gave it interest. The lines formed by the waves do give the illusion of a Merry-go-Round. I wonder if this could have had a stronger impact had it been shot a lower or higher angle?
            Dan Mitchell - Trees
Rustic! For this subject, this was a perfect choice to capture the scene. Well done!.
            Trevor Cunningham - more hollyhocks
So that's what those are called? I like the composition and the lighting is spot on. Where I'm struggling a bit is with the conversion to B&W. The sky tones are fighting the blossoms. Perhaps some time with Channel Mixer to brighten the blues (or darken them) would give the flower more separation from the background. The texture on the top right blossom is incredible.
            John Palcewski - Oh, no!
That is not a scene I ever want to see in real life.... Excellent capture of the moment. I wonder though if you had bracketed the exposures and had a second shot exposed for the outside and combined them if it would have been a bit better, but still, perfect moment captured!!!
            Guy Glorieux - On hold
Why is that big structure eating the jet-bridge? Why is the jet bridge eating the airplane? Its not, its off to the side on what appears to be a rather busy and cramped tarmac. The photo is very busy. There is a lot that competes for your attention. Which plane is on hold, the near one, the apparent main subject or the one at the far terminal? I suspect its the far one given the illusion that the jet-bridge is eating the plane.
            Mark Harris - Valya Portrait
Excellent use of natural lighting. I think the photo has quite a bit of emotion going on. I can't quite put words to describe what I think she is feeling, but it seems genuine. The tonal range is spot on and I like the composition and overall feel to the photo. There are a couple of distracting elements, like the shadow running along her right cheek. I might have tried to dodge back her left side hair to bring back just a bit of texture there, its so dark its also distracting. I'm also not sure what that patch of black is on the bottom left. But other than that well done!

Keep up the good work folks!
Rob

--
Rob Miracle