Monitor advice

Title: Monitor advice
My old CRT lacie monitor has packed up...so I'm thinking of buying a flat screen monitor.

Has anyone got any advice about this? At one point people were a bit snobbish about flat screens for editing photographs...colour/contrast accuracy etc...

I haven't got loads of cash for it but equally don't want to buy any old rubbish. What do I need to be aware of? Are things like 'contrast ratio' important?

Any suggestions welcome.

Jonathan.
--
Jonathan Turner