RE: Are the new pocket camera with 10 + megapixels worth it?

No, it can’t. Typically, the makers of the smaller P&S cameras have more dense pixels on the smaller cameras, which are less sensitive. To compensate for this, they amp up the gain on the chip, which equates to more noise in the final image and a lesser overall quality. Going back to the earlier discussion, they also tend to claim “VR Technology” by raising the ISO, which increases the shutter speed and thus, appears to give the image a sharper “look” with less blur. One thing that I’ve learned after playing with numerous small cameras, they are wonderful and in most instances take a pretty nice photo, but they are no comparison to a full-blown pro-grade DSLR. Also, people tend to focus on mega-pixels when in reality, it’s become a moot point, since even the most basic cameras have enough resolution to make a fairly nice 8X10, which is the gold standard for comparison. Mega-pixels is more of a marketing theme than anything that’s based on an improvement in quality.

Take care,

Mark Lent

From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:52 AM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: Are the new pocket camera with 10 + megapixels worth it?

I noticed that the newer crop of pocket-point and shoot camera are up to 10+ mega pixels.

The also have fixed lens with 10x and 12x zooms. Accepting the limitation of not being able to change lens can a 10+mega pixel pocket camera produce as good an image as a Canon DSLR at 10.1 mega pixel? I just had a thought maybe the pocket cameras are squeezing mega pixels on to a half size APS-C or smaller sensor. Perhaps sensor size is also a factor here.

Roy