Re: Are the new pocket camera with 10 + megapixels worth it?

On Tue, March 30, 2010 08:52, PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I noticed that the newer crop of pocket-point and shoot camera are up to
> 10+ mega pixels.

I haven't seen pocketable cameras with those zoom ranges.

> The also have fixed lens with 10x and 12x zooms. Accepting the limitation
> of not being able to change lens can a 10+mega pixel pocket camera produce
> as good an image as a Canon DSLR at 10.1 mega pixel? I just had a thought
> maybe  the pocket cameras are squeezing mega pixels on to a half size
> APS-C or
> smaller  sensor. Perhaps sensor size is also a factor here.

They're much smaller than APS-C.  This does have an effect on the images,
especially at "high" ISO -- and a lot of these have a base ISO of 64 or
80, not 200 like the D700 or whatever.  400 is quite noise on my Panasonic
DMC-LX3.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info