Re: Shopping for Lighting and IR

On 27-Mar-10 07:54, herschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
any idea on flash duration for these?
I have a bunch of studio lighting but it's all 240V.

I'm moving to the States around August and I'll look for a little
commercial work
I must weigh up the option of selling and re-buying with getting all the
transformers changed.

I find that with digital SLR (Even my full-frame) I almost always have
too much light to get the shallow DOF I need (Min ISO 200)

But some lights have a ridiculously long flash duration (650th) and I
need high-speed to capture blur-free movement.

Yes, generally studio strobes are fairly long-duration at full power (though mostly they go under 1/1000 sec. at the low end, and you're talking about having too much power).

Hey, the flash duration info on the AB400 is at <http://www.alienbees.com/specs.html>, measured two different ways (duration over 50% outputp and duration over 10% output). They behave the reverse of everything I've seen before, longer exposure at lower power. But the AB400 gets down to 1/2000 second over 10% output at full power; not nearly as fast as an SB-800 can go, but decently fast I think.

It's a big change to have ISO 200 as the MINIMUM you use :-), I think it was like ISO 100 max previously, with 64 fairly common and some 25 in the studio (I know I shot K25 in the studio some). And with medium-format gear we mostly needed a much smaller aperture than we want today. So we don't need the kind of power we used to need (if we're using a DSLR in the studio now).

I don't know about legalities here, but it's perfectly possible to wire your studio space with 240V and just change the plugs on your existing units -- if they don't mind 60Hz instead of 50Hz, anyway. In fact if the cords are detachable, and you can find a 240V rated US 240V plug to the right other end, you might just swap cords. Given international shipping, you might be better off selling and buying something new here though.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info