From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Trevor Cunningham
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:23 AM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Shopping for Lighting and IR

Hey gang,

This summer, I'll be shopping for some new gear. I'm interested in
materials toward the objective of a home studio for portraiture and
table-top still life. There's tons of websites dedicated to the subject,
almost to the point of them being overwhelming. I'm not sure if I should
go with monolights, speedlights, etc. From what I've seen, I like the
portability and space-saving capacity of multiple speedlights/slaves,
but I have no idea as to the power I would need. Any thoughts? What do
you have or wish you had in your studio? If you had to start over, what
you get first?

IR: I would also like to start doing more macro IR work indoors. I
understand that most incandescent sources serve well for IR, but how
does this translate into speed/mono lights? Also, I'd like to achieve a
black background and wonder what color/type of material would reflect
the least amount of IR radiation. A black velvet? I remember Andy
sharing something along these lines a few years back.

Cheers...Trevor