Re: Maths and photography - help?

Title: Re: Maths and photography - help?
Wow, some really interesting suggestions there...plenty of food for thought.

In answer to your question Andrew, the students are year 9, which in the UK is about 13/14 years old I think. Sorry, should have mentioned that in the original post.

I like the idea of measuring things by using scale ratio’s of known lengths in the pictures etc, as suggested by Andy. I also like the idea of photographing a falling object, (also suggested by Andy) though have to confess the calculations are right over my head...not too much of a problem as I’ll be working in partnership with a maths teacher so guess he can do all that part, I would just need to deal with the business of actually photographing a falling  object etc. Great stuff though, in fact genius!

Lastly, thanks to Michael, there’s loads of useful suggestions in your comments, so that should keep me busy for a while!

It’s going to be an interesting project. I’m working with a maths teacher, and the architect is coming into the school to talk about the building designs etc. As I understand it the building is about half way to completion, and we are going to have a site visit in the next week or so.

Thank you so much for all your useful thoughts on the matter. As someone who is rather number blind this has been causing me a bit of worry so it’s a relief to see just how much Mathematics can be used in photography. Or should that be photography used in Mathematics?

I may well come back with more questions once I have digested all this.

Cheers,
Jonathan.

--
Jonathan Turner