Re: Running Lightroom on own drive

Lea Murphy
A huge body of work that I've created is an on-going photo project of my
niece Rachel.

I began by not keywording at all. BIG MISTAKE.

Then when I did start I was being far too specific...things like Rachel,
blankie, thumb, foot, shoe, porch, kitchen, swing, park...so I essentially
became overrun with keywords and finding the specific image was dependent
on my knowing what else (besides Rachel) might be in the image or where it
was taken.

oh man, I wish I could find a link I sent aaaages back about an image
locater freeware program, it allowed you to find images of a like type, or
images based on a sketch you could scribble up (the example used was a
london double decker)

While I continue searching the some 200,000 + emails I have, let me offer
up:
"Image Duplicates Search Tool"  (untested by me)
http://ir.codeplex.com/

there's also a rather demonic concept called Sketch2Photo (formerly
photosketch) (untested)

http://blogs.zdnet.com/weblife/?p=965

"PhotoSketch is an "Internet Image Montage" project from five Chinese
Computer Science and Technology students at Tsinghua University and the
National University of Singapore. The basic premise, which they present in
the form of a research paper [pdf], works like this:

Step 1. Draw the outlines of the figures you want in your picture -
anything from seagulls to a Mercedes, whatever tickles your fancy,

Step 2. Add labels for each of the items, as well as for the background.

Step 3. PhotoSketch will then find real-life images to match your doodles
and put them together in a Photoshopped image that will make your jaw
drop."
http://cg.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn/montage/

then there's IBM's effort:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ibms_image_recognition_powers_sapir_search.php

Oh yay, while writing I found the email =)

the program is called Imgseek. (and now they have a mac version)

"What is imgSeek ?

imgSeek is a photo collection manager and viewer with content-based search
and many other features.
The query is expressed either as a *rough sketch* painted by the user or as
another image you supply (or an image in your collection). Imgseek then
goes to work searching through you images to find images like the one you
scribbled or the one you supplied!

Features

1. You simply draw a rough sketch of what you want to find and imgSeek
displays for you a thumbnail view of the best matches.

or

2. Query images similar to one in your collection by double-clicking on
it's
thumbnail.

Group your photos by similarity for easy browsing. You may also have them
clustered automatically by color, date (group events automatically using an
adaptive clustering algorithm for time differences), filename or image
features.

Edit metadata (description, camera, lens, etc) for every image, and use
them on the HTML albums generated or for searching photos. You can also use
custom metadata fields.

EXIF and IPTC data found on JPEG/TIFF files are automatically imported.
(Read-only support)

Advanced command-line utility to scan for new files, query for similar
images and show image metadata. (You may use it on your cron system for
example)

Transform images or batches automatically: Place text captions, change
brightness, contrast, blur, etc. Apply lossless rotations automatically if
jpegtran is available.

Generate HTML albums for the entire collection, a given directory or
similarity group

Advanced keyword searching for metadata.

Find all duplicate images on your collection with the parameters you
specify. (dimensions, filesize, filename, similarity, average luminance)

Organize and browse pictures in groups with an easy drag & drop interface.
You can also perform advanced queries on groups (eg.: show me all images
that belong to group A and B but not group C)

Support for multiple volumes of pictures. You may assign all images on a CD
to a given Volume

Automatic thumbnail generation and caching. Using this standard, which is
also used by Gimp, Nautilus/Gnome, Rox Desktop, gThumb and others.

Supported file formats are jpg, gif, bmp, png, xbm, and pnm. If you have
ImageMagick installed, imgSeek will also support over 87 image formats.

Rename a file or batch of files automatically: Replace strings, convert to
upper/lowercase, append a string, create numbered series, etc.

Add images to the database from a directory recursively.

User friendly interface that remembers typed queries and drawn sketches for
later usage.

Slideshow for a given directory, whole collection or for a chosen group of
similar images. You can also delete and organize images in groups with
hotkeys.

Browse images by thumbnail and view them on a preview window.

Browse your system files for images, and bookmark your favorite
directories. While browsing, you may query for similar images on your
collection

from:
http://www.imgseek.net/index.html

before disregarding this freeware, take a peek here at heir screenshots:
http://www.imgseek.net/sshot/