Hard drives

Well most and sooner or later all of us will deal with the problem of a
hard drive sooner or later.  In my case its still a sore subject, but it
wasn't the hard drive that caused the problem, but Windows.  Can you say
a ticked off MS customer again.  To make matters worse I was going to
just reload windows and reformat the hard drive, but there was an issue
with that too.  Some where along the line the CD got place in a
different envelop so those magic numbers that unlock the software were
no where to be found.  And to answer your question YES it was a legal
copy, but I didn't want to take the time to beg MS for anything, much
less be in the mood for it in the first place.  I decided to load Linux
on to the old laptop and I could use it as an image dump.

It has Gimp, and I am looking for  a raw converter, a monitor
calibration system and you know I might just go open source.  If I can
find the right software you know being held up by these companies is
starting to get old.  Looks like the 2200 will work with it, IF I ever
print from it (which isn't that likely) and if I could get the monitor
calibrated, I should be able to get decent color for doing adjustments
ect in the field.

This hard drive hassle may actually be a long term benefit.