Re: Hard drives

Linux is generally more stable than Windows and can run on older, slower
hardware.  But, it still has its weaknesses.

I've used Linux on primary computer for probably six years.  It's been
useful and productive, but I still keep some Windows boxes around.  My
laptop runs Windows 7.  I use this machine when I travel for the mapping
applications available.  Linux doesn't directly support a good map
program.

I keep another, very old desktop to control my Canon 5D when doing macro
work.  The software that comes with the camera is very helpful for this
work, and there's nothing comparable on Linux.

Finally, Linux has been pretty picky about printers.  HP printers are
very well supported, but Canon printer support is very weak.  Before
abandoning Windows or Mac check that any peripherals you have will work.

Good Luck,
Tim