Re: Characterize Digital Camera Color

Ed:

<clipped>
I had learned a small vocabulary of Bahnar Dega words and was able to
photograph in Bahnar villages because I could speak a tiny bit of the
language. At the time we called these people Montagnards but Dega is the
accepted term today. We used to take them B&W prints of the pictures we
took of them a week or so after we had photographed and these were hugely
popular. They were people only beginning to use metal and undoubtedly none
had ever seen themselves in a mirror except perhaps then our jeep mirrors.
One day we had the idea to take a color Polaroid camera and surprise them
with instant color pictures. To our amazement they considered these to be
vastly inferior ... nearly worthless. It was not an issue of print size
because we had been taking 4x5 and 8x10 B&W prints and they loved them all.
I am fairly certain that many of these villages had never seen a photo
before and especially of themselves. In our minds color prints were a
superior choice that we were offering them but to them B&W prints were more
special.

thanks for sharing this fascinating account of your experiences - not sure
what this will mean to me yet, but it's filed in the memory bank ;)

>We have chosen not to have TV the past 4 years because it seems such a
blatant distorter of reality, or at least to get used that way for economic
purposes often to the exclusion of art and science. When we stay in a motel
it is disturbing how easily we get re-addicted though. It seems to me that
TV offers a form of selectable reality reinforcement that is quite
dangerous,

gotta agree with you on that - no TV for me, I do love stories though and
revel in a good movie, but I watch the ones I choose for entertainment
purposes when I feel like it.

My brother in law tried to stop my sister watching TV for she developed a
perculiar reality after whatever she watched, and was in a constant state
of yearning for excitement and 'happiness'.  It was bizzarre, but she
really seemed to lose her grip on the world.