Re: Characterize Digital Camera Color

Hi
This is a very interesting and enlightning thread posing a very essential problem. As far as I know (not very much by the way) The tricolour process is using the limitatrions of the human eye to try to reproduce the same stimulus to the brain. From what I learned in my engeneering courses the most accurate method to register colour is the Lippmann process but as far as I know it is too difficult to use and requires absolute dimentional sability of the emultion before and after development. In theory it is able to register and reproduce any specific wavelength even non visible ones provided a suitable detecting product.
Mr. Lippmann even received a nobel prize for this accomplishment.

Here are some quick  links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lippmann_plate
http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_early/1_early_photography_-_processes_-_lippmann.htm

A more in depth analisys:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1908ApJ....27..325I

And here is a derivative work for even reproducing 3d colour images.
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5449597.html

Alberto

photoroy6@xxxxxxx escribió:
The eye does not see the whole scene at once. If you are looking at the darker part of the forest your eye opens up and you see more detail and more subtle contrast. When you look at a bright area of the scene your eye closes down to see the highlights. What Ed is saying is to make a photograph that has both areas rendered as the eye see them which is some sense a heighten reality that the eye can not comprehend in one look in the real world. I have seen a detail photograph that have a tremendous depth of field feeling that was created using 13 different exposures. It literally seemed to have more depth than the real scene. Roy In a message dated 12/18/2009 5:39:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    Ed, it is my understanding that all humans see colours very
    differently. I'm not
    sure then how you intend to 'accurately reproduce' what the human
    eye sees?
    Whose eyes? Yours? A panel of judges?

    Is it then real art?