Re: My grandson and I need comments and advice

If he's just going to take nice photos, and doesn't really want to make a trip for the purpose of taking photographs, I'd recommend one of the Panasonic Lumix line. Most of them require the proprietary battery, but they can be charged anywhere as long as he has the charger unit and the correct plug for the country he's in. The top end of the line has excellent quality in the sensor, very good lenses, takes little videos as well, has an acceptable pop-up flash and offers both a live LCD screen and a real, live, honest-to-god viewfinder. They use all the standard memory cards so he can plug the camera into a computer to download the photos, or he can drop the card in a card reader. In addition, the cards are so cheap that it could be quite an acceptable thing to forget the downloading and reformatting and just take 5 or 6 cards and fill them up.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx