Re: From the sublime to the ridiculous? - width of 35mm film

On Thu, November 19, 2009 21:02, ADavidhazy wrote:
> James,
>
> I "dare" you to ask this question from various photog friends and see how
> many
> miss it. I have won quite a few beers this way!! This is a "favorite"
> question
> of mine when discussing image velocity when something moves across the
> width of
> the film. I elaborate on how we find out how long time wise that is. And
> then go
> on that we could determine image speed or velocity if we knew how wide the
> 35 mm
> film was since then we'd have time and distance. Duh!!

And the image area is rather different from the total film width in the
135 case (due to the EXTREMELY robust sprocket setup left over from its
movie heritage).

I've had "24x36mm" burned into my brain for around 40 years now.  Except
my M3 was a bit wider than 36mm.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info