Re: From the sublime to the ridiculous?

On Fri, November 20, 2009 08:42, PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I would say no. If two lights, one at 10 ft and one at 20 ft produce two
> stops under exposure
> then three more lights at 10 feet and three more lights at 20 ft would
> bring the exposure up to the correct exposure? or does one have to work
> this
> out  mathematically taking the distance involved?

I'm a bit confused about what the question about proximity of the lights
was supposed to be about in the first place.  I don't think it was about
anything as simple as getting in each other's way, for example.

If carried too far, a 10x10 grid of 100 lights probably isn't a simple
100x exposure increase for a subject 10 feet away in practice; at least
not in the shadows (the light will be a LOT softer so the shadows will
brighten a lot, and the whole character of the light will change).

But what you say, I'm sure is right.  If you take any given light setup,
and double it, there'll be basically twice as much light, meaning one stop
more light.  Even if it consists of two lights at different distances; you
double both, so it's a stop difference.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info