From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ADavidhazy
Sent: 18 November 2009 13:46
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: Sample question

Very good discussion around this topic in my opinion!

The 1.25 might indicate that the background was not totally black and during
the  exposure of the moving image it added a bit of density to the negative
or exposure to the area that was uncovered by the moving subject. At the
time the shutter opened the image was in one place but its trailing edge
moved almost immediately away from its position so it will be very
underexposed and dark. Then it rises to maximum possible level once it gets
to where the leading edge was at that same (initial) time. In addition the
shutter is not 100% efficient so it adds yet another layer of complexity to
the situation. The opposite happens on the other side. The leading edge is
at the farthest point for a VERY short time and thus way underexposed as
well.

The aspect ratio of the whole record is 1:4 if my measurement is correct.
But the size of the subject or its image needs to be subtracted out to
determine the actual distance moved by any part of it. So the ratio then is
1:3 and so it traveled 3 inches in 1/30 second so 90 inches per second.

If it can be assumed that the background was totally absorbent then the
lighter areas of the record would reproduce at close to 1.3 indicating a
1/30 second local exposure time in the mid-sections of the record due to the
motion of the subject. Then it can also be deduced that the camera shutter
must have been opened for about 3 x 1/30 or 1/10 second. I think Tim was
driving at this.

In terms of "pondering" one might note that the density vs. exposure is not
a "linear" matter. It makes one think of a "characteristic curve". In the
region of interest the relationship is linear.

roughly! - this is meant as a thinking problem and I may have my logic
flawed so if it is so tell me!!

;)
andy

re:  http://people.rit.edu/andpph/a-pix/2009-sensi-1.jpg