Re: Well another day, another day on the phone

On 11/19/09 10:01 AM, PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx wrote:
  The biggest drawback is that bridge is so (insert your favorite word
    from the George Carlin list here) slow, I was leaning toward lightroom

I don't understand this. I experience Bridge as plenty speedy - or at least as fast as my processor will permit. There are settings you can set to control how quickly the thumbs appear and sharpen. If your files are large, the full size display takes a while, especially if you're dealing with a 400 file shoot. I use bridge in film strip mode which allows me to work my way through a shoot starting with the thumbs, marking those worth processing. Once I've rated them I use the Filter tab to select only the rated ones. Then Select All and hit return. Photoshop launches and they come up in Adobe Camera Raw with the strip on the left and sliders on the right.

If I wish to make a global adjustment, I click on the little button at the top of the film strip in ACR and that selects all. Then I tweak the aspect I wish to adjust.

From there I go through each image refining the adjustments. If I decide an image isn't worth going any further I unclick the stars under the thumb. Then I click Done and the adjusted files can be seen in Bridge in their new state.

From there, I use the filter tab to reselect all the final choices, Select All, open in ACR, click on the select all tab there and choose Save, down below. Specify where and the type of file you wish to save and click on the go button. Go get a cup of tea and the files are saved to the folder you want them in.

From Bridge, open the new folder through the folder Tab, then choose the Metadata Tab and Select All and insert the universal text Metadata. Alternatively, select the images in Bridge that you wish to add data and use the Photoshop File Info keyboard command to open the File Info screen. Metadata is then inserted in every file I've selected.

The reason I don't like Lightroom is that the biggest reason to me for using it is to be able to use the keyword search function. That means that ones entire portfolio has to be available, so if you have to Quit it, you then have to wait a long time, and have a very large amount of RAM and big cache, to gain that access. In addition the adjustment controls are smaller, and less precise because of that, unless you have a monster monitor. Lightroom is very expensive on those terms - big computer capacity, big monitor, big bucks.

Photoshop is much less expensive, especially when you consider that you can buy an older version of it that you can register from eBay, and then only pay the upgrade fee to get up to date. And you can use it on a laptop without feeling like all the Bridge controls are tiny.

And, on the Mac, the operating system search feature stores all the keyword and caption text from the image files so you can search without opening Photoshop or anything else.