Re: Imaginary colors Speculation

On Mon, November 9, 2009 09:42, lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> That poses an interesting problem.  What kind of pigments would a
> non-human use?

Presumably they would choose pigments that worked well to convey colors to
their visual system, while being compatible with the rest of the process
(easier for brush-applied pigments, somewhat harder for chromagenic color
film).  Which is to say each species would make different choices.

Well, it's possible there are limited numbers of "good" choices for
retinal pigments, easily produced biologically and so forth, maybe.  If
so, the range of what various species use would be smaller.  Our
experience on earth is narrow since the species all seem to be pretty
closely related.

> I'm think something in UV range made from fluorescing
> minerals or something like that. There are some artist pigments that
> change colors depending on angle of light. Looks way-cool in gallery.
> Move your head a bit and what was one color changes to another. I'll see
> if I can find example from a gallery show we had last spring.

Oooh, deliberate  metamerism!  That'll really annoy some people.  But
yeah, if used cleverly it might make for very interesting visual effects.
Maybe people would want to light the paintings with two lights at
different angles with different types of bulbs, to emphasize the effect.
In fact, maybe the lighting setup should be part of the work, so the
artist can plan things to do what he wants with the lighting setup.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info