Re: a sample midterm in a high speed/time lapse course

On Sun, October 11, 2009 13:38, ADavidhazy wrote:
> If you are looking for something to maybe entertain you I just
> finished preparing a midterm exam for my fall class. To amplify
> this is not your usual midterm as it is not required. As part of
> the "grading" process students are asked to turn in 8 illustrated
> technical reports about 9 different topics covered during the
> 10 week period. If they earn more than a 50% on this optional
> exam then they can use this exam as one of the 8 technical
> reports - meaning they only have to write about 7 final reports.

I'm amused at the use of quotes around "grading" :-).

It was interesting to see this.  Apparently I've learned a thing or two
about photography over the years, because I believe I understood all the
questions, and was confident of my answers to most of them.

Was the Lartigue reference to his photo of car No. 6 in a race?  That's
what I think of as the most famous photo "exploiting focal-plane shutter
distortion", and it's by him, but I don't know if that's what you were
thinking of.

I'm not at all clear what's going on in #27, either.

I'm not saying I'm sure I have the right answers to all the others, mind
you, or that I wouldn't make mistakes working out the details in cases
where that's required :-).

Another question brings up a question I've had for years about sound
triggers: Where can one buy one?  I've never seen anything closer than a
kit.  I might still be able to put an electronic kit together and make it
work.  I was talking to another photographer about this yesterday on the
way back from a shoot, and we're both interested in doing something about
it.  I don't think calibrated delay is important for us -- either
un-calibrated delay, or probably the easiest is just to count on moving
the microphone to introduce any needed delay.  It wouldn't hurt to have a
unit that could also process beam interruptions to trigger equipment.  And
it would be nice to be able to trigger either cameras or flashes with it.
It would be nice to trigger continuous shooting mode and keep going until
the buffer filled up, too.  Are there commercial products, or does
everybody end up building a kit or rolling their own?  Are the commercial
products any good?  Are any of the kits any good?

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info