Re: denisometers

Mark:

: Well I am interested in doing a bit more experimentation, and reality
: its probably a step I should have taken years ago.  I have always been
: an it looks right kind of guy instead of a numbers kind of guy and just
: really felt a need to put numbers to my black an white work.  Yes its
: slowed the learning curve down at times.  Yet after a while a look at a
: negative seemed to be just fine.
:
: I am now curious about how my calibrated eyeball compares with the
: numbers.  I wonder what a lower cost, decent denisometer would run and
: what brands, makes, models ect I should look for an which ones I should
: avoid.  As always help is greatly appreciated.

Just looked around and found this:

http://perso.wanadoo.es/terenciano/densitometro/densitometro.html
if you hve any electronice skills (or a friend who does ;) this would work
as well as any commercial densitometer

Personally I would use a voltage regulated power supply rather than the
simple one they use (none) and I'd also use a white light LED .. infinitely
better than an incandescent globe s the luminence does not vary anywhere
near as much as a heated filament globe :)

that way you could also use the LED in a swinging arm which trips the light
using a microswitch - much as a 'real' densitometer does