Re: Camera question

I have neglected the Lumix line I guess.  I don't think of Panasonic as a camera company yet I suppose.  I will look into them.  Thanks for this info, Emily.
Don

Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
I've been pretty happy twice now with the Lumix line from Panasonic. I helped a friend purchase one a couple years ago and it shot RAW and had a swivelling LCD screen.  Then last spring I bought one with both those features that I use for video - the important feature I wanted was a lens with a zoom ring, not a rocker switch zoom.

The sensor is certainly not the size of my Canons, and the top-of-the-line Lumices are not exactly what you'd call pocketable. The files from mine are large and the RAW capture does not compress them as far as the RAW capture on my Canons so they're bigger files off the card.  The viewfinder is not as bright, either, but another important feature for me was that the camera have a viewfinder as well as an LCD screen with live viewing.  The glass is quite satisfactorily sharp and the range of the zoom is temptingly convenient.

So all in all, a detailed and careful visit to dpreview and a clear idea of ones budget, and possibly a trip to the local super gadget store, can be a real help in figuring out what's worth the trouble.

I cannot imagine any mid-level slr-type non-interchangable lens camera from any of the leading manufacturers being unsatisfactory at this point.