Re: Camera question

On Tue, September 8, 2009 15:27, Tina Manley wrote:
> At 04:12 PM 9/8/2009, you wrote:
>>Maybe my next P&S will be a Leica M9...oh, wait, just checked the
>>estimated prices.  Never mind.  :-)

> It will be worth it if you have any Leica M lenses.  I've paid for my
> M8s many times over and I'm sure the same will be true with the
> M9.  I'd rather have it than any other camera.

The M3 and 35, 50, and 90mm Summicron lenses went walkabout out of my
house back in about 1979.  As an experiment, when I got to replacing the
gear, I tried a modern SLR first to see if it had a bright enough
viewfinder and quiet enough mirror, to work in the places I'd used the
Leica (bars, clubs, parties, conventions, often very late at  night).  The
FM was, in fact, workable; not as good as the Leica, but the cost savings
of not keeping both systems going was pretty significant, and I needed an
SLR for longer lenses, macro, etc.  My current Nikon D700 derives from
that decision back in 1980.

I have repeatedly thought "Maybe it's time for a Leica again", and each
time the prices are solidly past my pain threshold of the moment.  So I
have remained in the SLR world since then.  And these days, autofocus is
SO MUCH faster than what I can do manually, as well as generally more
accurate, that I'm not sure I could go back (my eyes are 30 years older,
after all).

This comparison photo of Canon and Leica 35mm f/1.4 lenses is pretty
remarkable, though:
<http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/.a/6a00df351e888f88340120a554165a970b-popup>.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info