Re: 'Leica S2 Medium format DSLR hitting UK scene in October '

The 127 cameras that I used on occasion were the Baby Rollei, the Yashica 44 and a Sawyers model.  All TLRs.  I can't remember any serious cameras that were not TLRs.  There was the very interesting Kodak Bantam Special which used 828, which was a very similar size. and was a folding rangefinder with art deco styling.  This format seemed to offer nothing of real value to shooters.  The image was only slightly larger than 35mm and the film was in shorter lengths and had clumsier loading.  The image was certainly not up to med format standards so there was little point to using the format.
Don

karl shah-jenner wrote:
Don Roberts asks:

So where do you classify 127?  Just curious.

I'd forgotten about 127!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/127_film

In Australia my recollection was that it was considered a miniature format,
a competitor to 35mm.  The cameras themselves were probably in part
responsible for this attitude, though a 4x6 is so close to 645 as to
suggest no difference.

Mind you, European books and magazines of the 50's and earlier often
refered to 120 as miniature format, 4x5 was medium format then

but small, medium and large are kinda subjective.  If I go by the standard
of what is most commonly used here these days in Oz by the majority, my
35mm is large format.  All those 5x4mm sensors make my camera look HUGE!

karl